www.flickr.com

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Worms Worms Glorious Worms



One of the things that I have become more interested in is applying sustainable concepts to our daily life. Although I spent most of my career thinking of and applying bigger picture environmental policy issues for clients, I never really applied many of the ideas to my own life. It is all very well to consider our individual greenhouse gas emissions or carbon loadings as a function of our life patterns, but that sounds a little too complicated. I have focused more on doing some small things in the way we live. I think that is fair, given South Australia is the driest state in the driest continent and hot to boot. I find that it is also easier to get the kids interested in some of these ideas. One of the things that we do is to have two worm farms. The major challenge is keeping them alive in the summer. Above 35 degrees for a few days and the are biomatter. I was surprised the first time, when I went to check on them and they had vaporised. We are just getting to the stage of the year where we will reestablish them after the summer heat. Anybody (well almost anybody) can manage a worm farm. It is just a high tech compost. The key is to get one with a tap, so that you can easily pour it on the plants. We have another that is really designed to be a compost, but the worms love it provided it stays cool. The plants love all the worm poo, which is what I call it for the kids. Castings, for those in the know.

No comments: