www.flickr.com

Monday, April 09, 2007

I'm on the Road to Nowhere (and happy about it)

Martin Strell, a Slovenian has likely broken his own long distance swim record by swimming down the Amazon River from Peru to Belem in Brazil, approximately 3,300 miles in nine weeks, about 50 miles a day. That is approximately the same distance as across America.

I have to ask myself when I hear these kinds of stories, what on earth motivates these kinds of adventurers to go through extreme discomfort including chafing from the wet suit, sun burn, diaharrea..(you can read it all in the link) and worry about piranhas, flesh eating fish and sharks.

I have the same concerns for mountaineers who face death, frostbite, exhaustion...to go higher than anyone else.

Boring as it is, I think I will just stick to my day job.

6 comments:

Shades said...

...it must be their Blegos!

Bill Haydon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill Haydon said...

Well, Colin, you obviously don't want to see me on a trip to the pub - chafing, sun burn & diarrohea are just par for the course I'm afraid.

Bill Haydon said...

OK, it was me who deleted my own comment, on the basis that I had spelled "burn" as "burm" and didn't want anyone taking the piss out of me.

Colin Campbell said...

Ha Ha Ha Tin Drummer the English Teacher can't spell. See that wasn't too bad was it. Mock Mock.

Bill Haydon said...

Bugger.